This is the rescue component of our packrafting 101 course. This course can be taken with the Packrafting 101 course, or separately you're already a confident paddler. The focus is very much on personal safety and self rescue for the first day. The second day is more about helping others and other rescue techniques for you tool box.
The idea is that you'll finish the course not only a good pack rafter, but a good person to go Packrafting with!
We've teamed up with Rescue 3 International to deliver this course so you'll receive your Whitewater Rescue Technician: Recreation certificate upon completion. Rescue 3 are by far the most reputable rescue course provider in the world so you'll have no trouble renewing this award elsewhere on your travels.
If you're interested in doing this courser with the Packrafting 101, your first day will be personal paddling skills. On day 2 you'll start the course as detailed below.
- The anatomy of the river and hydrology
- The different risks and hazards associated with river environments
- Personal, group and technical equipment
- River running considerations
- Communications, incident management an medical conditions
- Whitewater swimming, shallow water techniques and throw bagging
- Searching rivers
- Knots and anchor systems
- tensioning systems and mechanical advantage
- Tethered rescues
- Line crossing methods
- Zip Lines
- Boat pins and wraps
- casualty management