packrafting 101 & Rescue 3: Recreational River Safety
This is our most comprehensive packrafting course. This course can be taken with the Packrafting paddle clinic, or separately you're already a confident paddler. The focus is very much on personal safety and self rescue for the first day. The second day is more about helping others and other rescue techniques for you tool box.
The idea is that you'll finish the course not only a good pack rafter, but a good person to go Packrafting with!
We've teamed up with Rescue 3 International to deliver this course so you'll receive your Recreational River Safety certificate upon completion. Rescue 3 are by far the most reputable rescue course provider in the world so you'll have no trouble renewing this award elsewhere on your travels.
This is an expedition style course. We leave town on Friday night to camp in the valley so we're ready to hit the ground running on Saturday. Using this format we'll get to know each other around the camp fire and maximise your contact time with our instructors. By Sunday afternoon, when we finish, you'll be feeling confident and ready to safely undertake your own packrafting trips.
- The anatomy of the river and hydrology
- The different risks and hazards associated with river environments
- Personal, group and technical equipment
- River running considerations
- Communications, incident management an medical conditions
- Whitewater swimming, shallow water techniques and throw bagging
- Searching rivers
- Knots and anchor systems
- tensioning systems and mechanical advantage
- Tethered rescues
- Line crossing methods
- Zip Lines
- Boat pins and wraps
- casualty management