Our 101 course is designed to give you confidence and teach you the basics you need to get out on the water with your mates. We select appropriate sections of rivers in and around Queenstown and create a safe and controlled environment to practice and learn. Whilst you will be learning some theory, this will be taught out in the field and you'll have the opportunity to put the theory into practice straight away.
This course focuses on safety on the river, but are also a heap of fun and a great way to meet like minded people to join your river crew!
- Introduction to equipment and how to correctly use it. Including Packrafts, Helmets, Buoyancy aids, Paddles and thermal layers.
- Introduction to rigging your rafts, the dos and don't how how to travel on the water.
- Introduction to river features such as: eddylines, wave trains, holes, buffer waves and boils.
On The River
- Efficient paddle strokes and line identification
- Sweep strokes
- Breaking in and out of eddies
- Ferry gliding
- Introduction to river hazards associated with packrafting such as: Wraps, sweepers,strainers, foot entrapment
- Introduction to rescue gear
On The River
- Safe floating position
- Defensive swimming (including breaking into eddies)
- Deep water rescue
- Throw bagging
- More white water skills practice